Job Posting: Managing Editor
Mindful magazine is hiring. Read on to learn what we’re looking for in a managing editor.
The Foundation for a Mindful Society seeks an experienced magazine industry professional for the position of Managing Editor of its groundbreaking new magazine Mindful. Soon to enter its second year of publication, Mindful and its digital counterpart, Mindful.org, tell the stories of people improving our world by being mindful. We share advice, how-to instruction, news, and information, and report on how mindfulness is affecting the lives of many thousands of people through programs in schools, hospitals, workplaces, and non-profit organizations.
The Foundation for a Mindful Society is an independent non-profit established for the purpose of publishing Mindful magazine, Mindful.org, and related media properties.
Under the guidance of the Mindful Editor-in-Chief, the Mindful Managing Editor provides leadership to the editorial team and manages the editorial process for this bimonthly international newsstand magazine, including:
- relationships with freelance writers
- developmental editing and copy-editing when appropriate
- supervision of the copy-editing and proofing process, including deadlines
- oversight of display copy
As a key member of the Mindful leadership team, the Managing Editor plays an important role in:
- creative collaboration with the art department
- story conception and acquisition of material
- budgeting and long-term planning
- training and development of editorial team members
- creation of multi-media and cross-platform content
Specific Qualifications, Skills, and Experience:
The ideal candidate for this position will have more than a decade of experience in journalism management and leadership on the editorial side—with all the attendant skills and qualities that go with such experience:
- proven writing (both body and display copy) and editing ability
- ability to inspire the best in staff, freelancers, and contributors
- developing and maintaining systems that ensure smooth operation in a deadline-driven environment
- creative use of resources
- experience leading people and fostering a culture of creativity, productivity, and well-being
While a familiarity with mindfulness meditation and related practices would be of value, it is not required. However, the successful candidate would be expected to develop subject matter expertise in these areas.
For a career editorial professional, this position offers the reward of being part of a highly creative print and digital brand that is addressing important issues of mind-body health, work-life balance, community well-being, and much more.
Salary: $55,000 to $65,000. Eligibility to work in Canada an asset but non-Canadian applicants will be considered.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter with “Managing Editor” in the subject line to Cindy Littlefair, cindy[at]mindful.org. We hope to have the successful candidate in place by the end of October.