Chief Marketing Officer
Net Impact is seeking its first Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) to develop and institute a bold marketing vision intended to position Net Impact as a highly relevant brand and market leader. Reporting to the CEO, the CMO will serve as a key member of the senior leadership team, lead the creation and implementation of a multi-year marketing strategy, and supervise a highly functioning team that spans brand strategy, marketing and communications, thought leadership, PR, membership, the website, and the annual flagship conference.
This is an exciting opportunity for a smart, creative, and transformational leader to play an influential role in helping an established nonprofit further develop its brand and accelerate its potential for impact.
Vision, Strategy, and Oversight
- Lead a multi-stakeholder team in the visioning, creation, and implementation of a comprehensive marketing and communications strategy with a goal of building an even more forward-looking and compelling brand position and value proposition to Net Impact’s key audiences of students, professionals, funders, media outlets, and industry influencers
- As part of the strategy, lead efforts to exponentially grow Net Impact’s influence, audience, and relevance to the field through improving current activities and embarking in bold new ventures
- Gain first-hand knowledge of Net Impact’s programs in order to leverage and articulate the activities, stories, and impact of each program.
- Spearhead new thinking around how to communicate a cohesive value proposition of program offerings to prospective and existing members
- Provide high level leadership to Net Impact’s awareness and engagement strategies, bringing a savvy perspective about ways to create broader awareness and deepen engagement through Net Impact’s website, social media channels, placed and earned media, and web-based products
- Lead Net Impact Conference team to produce and grow Net Impact’s flagship event that attracts over 2,500 people annually
- Uncover and develop innovative opportunities to generate and significantly grow $1M+ in earned revenue streams, including conference registration, advertising and membership revenue. Support development team and others to productize and price other opportunities
- Leverage consumer insights, understanding of marketplace and competitive dynamics, and other data in order to inform marketing decision-making and desired outcomes
Executive Leadership and Staff Management
- Provide visionary and supportive leadership to bring together the four groups within marketing (brand strategy/thought leadership, marketing/membership, website, and conference) to create a cohesive and collaborative organized aligned around key organizational goals. Net Impact’s marketing divisions are comprised of 14 staff (including 4 director/VP-level reports).
- Foster an environment of creativity, innovation, and productivity, championing new ideas and approaches as appropriate.
- Establish and articulate clear marketing priorities across organization and team. Effectively negotiate trade-offs with key stakeholders when new and/or competing interests arise.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to solicit input and coordinate the participation of the Board, executive team, program team, and other key stakeholders on marketing initiatives.
- Serve as a key member of the executive team, contributing to overall organizational strategies and representing the priorities and perspectives of the marketing function.
- Model and participate in promoting a fast-paced, results-oriented, and collaborative organizational culture
- At least 15 years of marketing leadership experience including demonstrated success building compelling brands, preferably including nonprofit, social enterprise, membership network, or cause marketing agency experience.
- Experience developing high-level marketing and brand strategy in line with the global strategic vision of the organization. This includes brand positioning, awareness, and extension.
- Proven ability to lead transformational change within an organization and to improve marketing’s contribution internally and externally.
- Enthusiastic commitment to Net Impact’s mission and genuine interest in inspiring and supporting students and professionals to use the power of business to create a better world.
- A balanced approach of creative vision and business acumen in order to develop and advance an overall marketing strategy that positively impacts Net Impact’s visibility, reputation, and relevance.
- An ability to understand changing market dynamics, translating them into actionable strategies to achieve company objectives.
- Up-to-date knowledge and a commitment to continued learning about branding, product/program marketing, event marketing, earned/paid media, social media, content marketing, thought leadership, and other core marketing tools and concepts
- A proven track record of success and innovation with web-based marketing techniques intended to increase user engagement, build loyalty, and/or “productize” a social movement.
- Visionary and supportive leadership and staff management skills, with the ability to bring out high-performance and encourage staff to embrace “big and bold” thinking.
- Skilled communicator who can translate marketing concepts into terms for all stakeholders to grasp and support. Demonstrated ability to communicate and engage effectively with younger / Millennial audiences
- Strong analytical skills, with a sophisticated understanding of how key business drivers, sector and consumer trends, and the competitive landscape impact marketing strategy and decisions.
- A flexible and entrepreneurial attitude, with a natural comfort with ambiguity and willingness to “do more with less” in a resource-constrained environment.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, results-oriented, and collaborative work culture, as well as an interest in advancing the organization’s culture to be even more strategic, innovative, and high-performing.
- BA required; advanced degree in marketing, communications, or business administration is a plus.